Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Vamos a Perú!

I am ashamed to admit that five years ago if you had put a map of the Americas in front of me and asked me to put my finger on Peru I wouldn't even know where to begin. My eyes furiously scanning, finger hovering over South America. But yes, this was me. Since that time my feet have planted themselves on Peruvian soil three times. It was over a year ago when I last ventured to the Southern Hemisphere. On a missions trip to Oxapampa, Peru I marveled at the sights. I mingled with the people, lived in their homes and joined their families. Then I went on a journey with my sister to the jungle, where we treked through lush forest, fished for pirahnas, ate fruit off the branch of at a local farm and marveled at exotic birds perched high in trees. I filled up every single inch of my photo memory cards, bought a flash drive, emptied them, and filled them up again. My heart swelled with the beautifulness I was capturing and would "soon" share with you all. My plan was to do little vingettes as blog posts; The missions trip to Oxapampa, Journey over the Andes, a Jungle Adventure, The Lodges of the Jungle. This was the plan. So many stories to be told.

And then... a year passed.

Now here I am, in Peru again, with sketchbooks and empty memory cards waiting to be filled. In the next 15 days I will journey to the deepest canyon in the world, the highest navitagable lake on earth, a collection of floating islands, sacred vallies and one of the seven wonders of the world. My mom and aunt are joining us in a week and at the end of it I get to bring my little sister (who has lived here for over two years) back home with me. And hopefully this time around, I will be more diligent about sharing a bit of this with you upon my return. (In the meantime, if you would like to follow our journey as it is happening, come and find me on Instagram @ carolinemaxcy. The flood of travel posts have already begun.)

I absolutely couldn't cross the equator again without sharing a little bit of what I was able to experience last year in Peru. So two nights ago, before I hopped on the plane, I stayed up way past a wise bedtime to upload a few, many un-edited, images from last year's journey. I still hope to share a more structured, curated and better narrated blog post with you all in the future but for now click on the images below to view a flickr sets and get a peek into the adventure from 2011...

Bible Fellowship Church Missions trip / Oxapampa, Peru

2011 BFC Peru Missions Trip

Peruvian Jungle Adventure with my Sis / Madre De Dios, Peru / Tambopata National Reserve

2011 Peruvian Jungle Adventure

0 comments:

About Caroline

I decided my destiny was to be an artist at age five when I won an honorable mention in a art competition in kindergarten. Ever since then I have been following a dream that has manifested itself in a variety of rewarding and delightful ways. I have practiced in the field of graphic design for over 8 years and recently acquired my Masters in Graphic Design at NC State University in Raleigh, NC (check out my design portfolio by clicking here if you like). But a passion that has stuck with me ever since I got my hands on my first Nikon camera in my undergraduate art education at Florida State University is photography. The instruction I received there was but a seed in what would develop over the next years of my life. Recently I have begun photographing people in their celebrations of life and could not feel any more blessed to be a part of capturing those memories.

About This Blog

A great american writer once wrote, "If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan my day." EB White penned the thoughts of my own heart. One part of me is a graphic designer working to challenge the world, seeking out problems and striving to create avenues for change. The other part is seeking out the beauties of the world and working to capture them in our memories forever through photography. This is what you will find here. Me enjoying the world. I have been truly fortunate to photograph such incredible people at truly beautiful moments in life. I can only hope that the images I've collected will forever keep alive those thoughts and emotions that swelled in their hearts and minds that day.

If you are interested in having me capture your life moments you can contact me by clicking here.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP