Monday, August 22, 2011

Flying Adventures

One thing you all should probably know about me is that I can't turn down the offer for adventure. I typically don't even think twice about it until I am standing on the edge of the thing. I have found myself with my skis hanging over the edge of what seems to be a 90 degree drop off on a black diamond ski slope in Big Sky Montana, peering over a rock ledge on a Georgia lake poised to take the plunge to the water 30 feet below, hiking out over volcanic wastelands in Hawaii just before dark, fishing for piranhas in a South American Jungle, climbing through the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu high in the Andes Mountains and paragliding off a cliff on the coast of Peru to name a few examples. I was once on a diving boat in the Bahamas when we made it to a secret "last stop" that happened to be on the edge of a deep, dark underwater abyss. Our hosts then proceeded to lower a crate full of fish parts down into the sea to lure in the sharks, hundreds of them. And then you know what they did... they told us to hop on in. And what do you think I did? I was in the water before I even knew what I was doing, watching the beasts come up out of the darkness and circle below, some of them close enough to touch with my foot (if I so pleased). All of these experiences took place without a second thought (some of them without a first). This oftentimes reckless abandonment has been both exhilarating and absolutely terrifying at times. But has always made for an experience that takes my breath away.

The reaction I get from people more times than not when I tell them I went flying in a two-seater Tecnam plane twice in the past two weeks is, "wow, you are brave." My sister has even proceeded to publicly scold me (via facebook). But I just. can't. help it. I really don't see flying in a small aircraft as all that risky anyways. It doesn't even rank close to the dangers of swimming with sharks or climbing through the ruins of Machu Picchu. But I suppose there is a bit of danger involved.

We had been talking about flying for months but the "risk factor" couldn't push its way around the "adventure/breathtaking/photo-op factor" in my mind. The only time I had even a slight twinge of panic was when I was actually in the plane for the first time, we were making our way to the runway and I was looking at the space (or lack of space) around me thinking that if I get sick this is not going to be pretty. And then we lifted off and soared over Sebring where everything looked smaller from the air (everything but Alan Jays house, which actually defied all principles and looked much, much larger). And then the next week we took an excursion all the way to the east coast, where we spotted alligators in Lake Istokpoga just after sunrise, sea turtles off the coast of Sebastian in the most beautiful aqua water, and country upon glorious country in between. The patterns, the colors, the vantage point... it was a photographer's dream. Something I never would have experienced with my feet planted "safely" on the ground.

OverSebring

EastCoastTrip_1

EastCoastTrip_2

EastCoastTrip_4

EastCoastTrip_3

EastCoastTrip_5

EastCoastTrip_6

Thanks, Bobby! And good luck in all your flight school endeavors.

5 comments:

LIESE ZAHABI August 22, 2011 at 1:36 PM  

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful stuff, sweet Caroline. Your post and photos have made me smile. The textures of the water and sky that you took in some of these photos are breathtaking!

Aunt Cathy August 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

Incredible. May I please go with you on your next adventure? Did you notice the one shot of Lake Jackson looked like a heart? You make me so happy. Love you.

Anonymous August 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM  

I'm speechless. These are just splendid!

Anonymous August 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM  

{Oops...forgot to sign my name.}

Prior comment from Heidi S. :)

Caroline August 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM  

Thanks ladies!

Liese, I was totally obsessed with the textures, colors and patterns this vantage point allowed me to capture and knew my designer friends would most definitely appreciate.

Aunt Cathy, Let's def go on an adventure together. Do you happen to need a vacation photographer to come along for your trip to Maine???

And Miss Heidi, Thank ya!

About Caroline

I decided my destiny was to be an artist at age five when I won an honorable mention in a art competition in kindergarten. Ever since then I have been following a dream that has manifested itself in a variety of rewarding and delightful ways. I have practiced in the field of graphic design for over 8 years and recently acquired my Masters in Graphic Design at NC State University in Raleigh, NC (check out my design portfolio by clicking here if you like). But a passion that has stuck with me ever since I got my hands on my first Nikon camera in my undergraduate art education at Florida State University is photography. The instruction I received there was but a seed in what would develop over the next years of my life. Recently I have begun photographing people in their celebrations of life and could not feel any more blessed to be a part of capturing those memories.

About This Blog

A great american writer once wrote, "If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan my day." EB White penned the thoughts of my own heart. One part of me is a graphic designer working to challenge the world, seeking out problems and striving to create avenues for change. The other part is seeking out the beauties of the world and working to capture them in our memories forever through photography. This is what you will find here. Me enjoying the world. I have been truly fortunate to photograph such incredible people at truly beautiful moments in life. I can only hope that the images I've collected will forever keep alive those thoughts and emotions that swelled in their hearts and minds that day.

If you are interested in having me capture your life moments you can contact me by clicking here.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP