Friday, October 1, 2010

Hi, Clouds

I took my seat on my flight from Raleigh to Tampa via Atlanta and watched as the other passengers filed in and took their seats all around me. I didn't really notice as the young mom with an infant in her arms and a three year old settled in just behind me. But when I heard the little girls voice I thought to myself, "Better me than most anyone else to have the three year old in the seat directly behind me." I seem to have a higher tolerance for children and their antics, especially when I am in a good mood. And today, I was in a good mood. It was a happy day. I was happily off eight hours of sleep, was taking a happy flight to Tampa for my god son's first birthday party and baptism and was happy to spend the next four days with my very best friend and her family. This story is not about happy turning to crappy by some rowdy youngins. They were actually extremely well tempered (to be honest, I didn't even know that there was a newborn behind me until after we landed in ATL.) But it was the little girl in 16A, with the cartoon character voice, only audible by the curious passenger directly in front of her, that captured my attention.

What a delightful little thing. She quietly talked about her missing goldfish snacks, pondered whether or not to try her mom's strawberries and yogurt granola bar and reminisced with her mother about the last flight she took when the nice lady treated her to pretzels. (I only remember the food related conversation, surprise, surprise.) As the plane began its descent into Atlanta I guess she caught her first glimpse of the clouds from her low position in the seat. "I see clouds!" she exclaimed. "Hi, clouds."

Well, I saw clouds too. I had been seeing them and photographing them since we left Raleigh. I happened to be a particularly big fan clouds. But never did I think to say hello. How rude of me. And it got me thinking. When did I stop seeing, with a childlike wonder, the personality of things? I mean, when was the last time I looked beyond the aesthetic and pondered the world as if everything had a soul? As a child, everything had life to me. I assigned human like qualities to everything from dolls and cars to trees and buildings, and especially, especially clouds. The clouds of north east Atlanta were in a pleasant mood today. Full of light, they were puffy and pure white. I imagined then, as I am sure 16A was doing, what the cloud might say back to me, had I taken the time to say hello, the tone, the inflection, the drawn out "well, heeeellllooooo, there," in a voice much like Falkor from The Never Ending Story. It would have been a delightful encounter indeed.

She continued to greet the clouds as we descended below them and then moved on to talking about taking the car ride home from the airport, hoping daddy would be the one driving them. And as we bounced along the runway after landing and taxied our way to our gate, a salutation from behind me reminded me that, just moments off of my rekindled appreciation for the soul of things, I had absentmindedly forgotten to greet the planes.

"Hi, plane!"

1 comments:

Anonymous October 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

I love you.

About Caroline

I decided my destiny was to be an artist at age five when I won an honorable mention in a art competition in kindergarten. Ever since then I have been following a dream that has manifested itself in a variety of rewarding and delightful ways. I have practiced in the field of graphic design for over 8 years and recently acquired my Masters in Graphic Design at NC State University in Raleigh, NC (check out my design portfolio by clicking here if you like). But a passion that has stuck with me ever since I got my hands on my first Nikon camera in my undergraduate art education at Florida State University is photography. The instruction I received there was but a seed in what would develop over the next years of my life. Recently I have begun photographing people in their celebrations of life and could not feel any more blessed to be a part of capturing those memories.

About This Blog

A great american writer once wrote, "If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan my day." EB White penned the thoughts of my own heart. One part of me is a graphic designer working to challenge the world, seeking out problems and striving to create avenues for change. The other part is seeking out the beauties of the world and working to capture them in our memories forever through photography. This is what you will find here. Me enjoying the world. I have been truly fortunate to photograph such incredible people at truly beautiful moments in life. I can only hope that the images I've collected will forever keep alive those thoughts and emotions that swelled in their hearts and minds that day.

If you are interested in having me capture your life moments you can contact me by clicking here.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP