Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jamie & Kenny / A Teaser

I am never any good at editing myself, holding things back, or practicing the art of leaving things out in order to enhance a story. I share everything. If you have ever heard me tell a story, you may have experience me getting so caught up in the details that I forget what the point was in the first place. Most people seem almost relieved when I realize this and stop talking.

One of my absolute favorite high school summer reading assignments was Willa Cather's, My Antonia. I can remember there was a scene where Cather went on for pages painting a picture of a western field with the most beautifully descriptive words I had ever seen. I loved it. I ate every word up, to the point where I could feel the warmth of the sun on my skin and the tickle of the grass beneath my palm. I couldn't wait to talk about it in class that following semester. To marvel at the skill of the author, the brilliance of the literature. I was completely crushed to find that the great majority of my classmates hated the thing, even directly referring to the painful scene that dragged on for pages describing a field, "for crying out loud." "Get to the point already," they complained. And it was there, with all my words of praise for Willa frozen at my lips, that I realized that people are just different in the level of information and/or detail they care to receive.

For my masters thesis while all my classmates were scrambling in the last days to get up to a certain page count I was struggling to get my count down to save me some money at the printer. Penning all the "painful" details of the research is just what I did all along. I loved it. (I on the other hand, was scrambling to get actual "design" work done to support my "design" thesis.) And it was there, with a 150 page book and $300 printing bill in my hands, that I realized that people are just different in the level of information and/or detail they feel necessary to give.

I run this test on myself for facebook. When I go to post something as my status I think of the most random person on my friend list and ask myself, "If so-and-so posted this would I find it interesting, valuable, or worthy?" If the answer is no, then I proceed to pound on the delete key until every letter disappears (or just press cancel, depending upon how dramatic I am feeling at the moment.) I wanted to post it. I wanted the facebook world to know those details of my life, to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, or whatever other meaningful detail of my day pressed upon my thoughts at that time, begging to escape. But something in me encouraged otherwise. (If only some other folks on facebook would run the same test on themselves. Detailed descriptions of what is "going on" with your body while you are sick absolutely DO NOT belong in a facebook status. Period. Even I know that.)

Believe it or not, I have the same problem with photos. The first thing I do when I get home after a photo shoot is download the photos, back them up, and then look through every one (which is typically well over 500) picking out the best that will make up my edited suite for my clients. This gets hard. I try to narrow it down to between 100-150, but this rarely if ever happens. The session plays out like a story for me, and so do the images. It is hard to choose what to leave in but even harder what to leave out. Even the slight shift of a gaze in the same pose tells a different part of the story. From eyes, to lips. You know what I mean. And it is here, with a newly purchased 2 terabyte hard drive quickly filling up with image files, that I realized that my clients are just going to be different in the level of details of their story they care to receive, because the long, drawn out story, "for crying out loud," is what they are going to get with me as their photographer. And I love it. I hope they do too.

Wait, why was I telling you all this story?

Uh, well, I have been huddled up in front of my computer editing away at hoards of gorgeous photos of truly beautiful people over the last few days and weeks and I can't hold it back. I just don't know how to. I feel like I absolutely have to share something, anything with you! Because of the busy-ness there is nothing ready for a full on blog post at this time but a few teasers may leak out here and there including this one from my engagement photo sesh with the lovely Jamie and Kenny that spanned from a runway at an Avon Park airport to the tall, golden grass in a off the beaten path field, that tickled the palm of my hand, as we captured their love on film (digital film that is). The story begins...

4 comments:

sb February 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

where is this grass? i have to know. i *have* to.

The Stivender Family February 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM  

carrie, i LOVE all that you do and i am dying to see more of these!!

Caitlin Maxcy February 11, 2011 at 6:54 AM  

omg, we are definitely related because i do the exact same thing... put waaaaay too much detail in my story telling and even my clients get sick of me talking about Peru at times. I can tell when they cut me off in the middle of my exquisite explanation of the Urubamba Valley in summer time to ask a completely different question. i'm learning to shorten my descriptions. :) b-e-a-utiful pictures btw! where are the fam pics? i hope that is the next blog post.

Mandy Lower February 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

Love the pics of Jamie and Kenny!

About Caroline

I decided my destiny was to be an artist at age five when I won an honorable mention in a art competition in kindergarten. Ever since then I have been following a dream that has manifested itself in a variety of rewarding and delightful ways. I have practiced in the field of graphic design for over 8 years and recently acquired my Masters in Graphic Design at NC State University in Raleigh, NC (check out my design portfolio by clicking here if you like). But a passion that has stuck with me ever since I got my hands on my first Nikon camera in my undergraduate art education at Florida State University is photography. The instruction I received there was but a seed in what would develop over the next years of my life. Recently I have begun photographing people in their celebrations of life and could not feel any more blessed to be a part of capturing those memories.

About This Blog

A great american writer once wrote, "If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan my day." EB White penned the thoughts of my own heart. One part of me is a graphic designer working to challenge the world, seeking out problems and striving to create avenues for change. The other part is seeking out the beauties of the world and working to capture them in our memories forever through photography. This is what you will find here. Me enjoying the world. I have been truly fortunate to photograph such incredible people at truly beautiful moments in life. I can only hope that the images I've collected will forever keep alive those thoughts and emotions that swelled in their hearts and minds that day.

If you are interested in having me capture your life moments you can contact me by clicking here.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP