Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Stephens Family

Just a few days away from Christmas I find my thoughts are consumed with gifts and I have to say I am pretty impressed with my selections this year. But then something happens... I actually listen to the words of the Christmas song Sufjan Stevens is singing in the background, from iTunes, while I am composing this post, Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, and I am reminded of the truest, dearest and most sacrificial gift that arrived here on this earth amongst a fallen world as a baby over 2000 years ago. Not so impressed with my own gift giving this year anymore. Not. At. All.

If anything, what I want is for the world to know about this gift, but I don't always know the words to use. What I do know how to do is make a valiant attempt to capture the smallest glimpse of God's love, grace and mercy that radiates through the eyes, grins and hearts of His children in a way that always makes me step back in awe of Him. Always.

The Stephens Family was certainly no exception. Before every photo shoot I begin with a prayer. God bless this family and bless our time together. And as I pull away after our hour or so with the images I saw through my lens and the experience we shared together still fresh on my mind I find myself full of love, praise and thankfulness for the gift of those moments God allows me to be a part of. I don't know what it was about this session. Maybe it was the lighting that afternoon, or the way the weather was changing, the way our time together felt like we were writing a simple, beautiful story, the way we started off at the front of a house and slowly made our way over the next hour to the back, down the lawn to the place where the waves of Lake Jackson met the sand and then beyond, the way the sun looked in the sky as it dipped below the horizon, the look of a baby girl in her mom and dad's arms, the love and protection in the kiss on the forehead from a big brother to his baby sister, or the way when it came time to walk back up to the house just after sunset and after a chilly wade in the lake I got to scoop Nolan up in my arms and fall in love. I am not sure what it was, but I left this session with the Stephens Family feeling the same way I do when I watch movies like, The Blind Side or Hoosiers or The Holiday, I just didn't want it to end. (Seriously, I immediately got home and put in an official request to Heidi - on facebook - asking if they would adopt me, which I think somehow offended all the other families I hadn't asked to adopt me and my own mom and dad, whom I all love dearly.)

That day, as with everyday I make the drive home from a photo shoot with images in tow, I found myself thanking God for the gift He had given me as a glimpse into His heart through the lens of my own.
















































2 comments:

The Revell Family December 23, 2010 at 6:23 AM  

BEAUTIFUL doesn't even come close to describing these pictures Carrie. You are so gifted!
P.S. I love the Stephens family too :)

Robyn January 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM  

I agree! The photo shot of the Stephens family is TRULY Amazing! I love all the candid shots of a playful family! I know Heidi is very excited about her entire collection of memories that you captured that day!

About Caroline

I decided my destiny was to be an artist at age five when I won an honorable mention in a art competition in kindergarten. Ever since then I have been following a dream that has manifested itself in a variety of rewarding and delightful ways. I have practiced in the field of graphic design for over 8 years and recently acquired my Masters in Graphic Design at NC State University in Raleigh, NC (check out my design portfolio by clicking here if you like). But a passion that has stuck with me ever since I got my hands on my first Nikon camera in my undergraduate art education at Florida State University is photography. The instruction I received there was but a seed in what would develop over the next years of my life. Recently I have begun photographing people in their celebrations of life and could not feel any more blessed to be a part of capturing those memories.

About This Blog

A great american writer once wrote, "If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan my day." EB White penned the thoughts of my own heart. One part of me is a graphic designer working to challenge the world, seeking out problems and striving to create avenues for change. The other part is seeking out the beauties of the world and working to capture them in our memories forever through photography. This is what you will find here. Me enjoying the world. I have been truly fortunate to photograph such incredible people at truly beautiful moments in life. I can only hope that the images I've collected will forever keep alive those thoughts and emotions that swelled in their hearts and minds that day.

If you are interested in having me capture your life moments you can contact me by clicking here.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP