Friday, July 9, 2010

The Roast Grill

Over a year ago I encountered a new television obsession on the Travel Channel. It was this little show called "Man vs. Food" where a round little guy travels around the country taking on eating challenges, you know, like giant pizzas and burgers, dozens of oysters, milkshakes and of course... hot dogs. The show brought Adam Richman to Raleigh's The Roast Grill, which is a speck of a place off West St. just between Morgan and Hillsborough, where he consumed 17 hotdogs in one sitting. Now that looked painful, but the dogs looked good, so I vowed to find this place and try a dog or two of my own. A year and a half later I made it.

We parked just in front of the building with a "Hot Weiners" sign as a beacon and a neon "The Roast Grill" in the window. The parking sign said 30 minutes and we debated how long it may take us to eat two hotdogs each, then decided we probably should be done in 30 minutes... probably. We walked into the place that looked tiny on TV and even tinier in person. There was a lunch counter style bar with 8 cushion topped stools covering the length of the skinny room and two, two-seater tables pressed up against the adjacent wall. Before we even had a chance to let our eyes adjust to the shade of the place we were asked what we wanted.... uh, hotdogs, yes, hotdogs please.

Well, of course, but how many and what do you want on it?
Everything but chili, please.
Blank stare.
Really? I worked on this chili all day. It is going to be the best that you have ever had.
Okay, then, chili too. (I knew this day would come for me. Better here than anywhere else)

In less than 10 seconds there was a fully loaded dog and a glass bottled coke in front of me. And in less than 13 minutes we were back in the car, with two of the most delicious hotdogs settling in our stomachs and a small chili colored stain appropriately settled in on my shorts. If only I had more cash, it would have been four, for sure.

And that is how it happened. I am now a chili dog kind of girl.

0 comments:

About Caroline

I decided my destiny was to be an artist at age five when I won an honorable mention in a art competition in kindergarten. Ever since then I have been following a dream that has manifested itself in a variety of rewarding and delightful ways. I have practiced in the field of graphic design for over 8 years and recently acquired my Masters in Graphic Design at NC State University in Raleigh, NC (check out my design portfolio by clicking here if you like). But a passion that has stuck with me ever since I got my hands on my first Nikon camera in my undergraduate art education at Florida State University is photography. The instruction I received there was but a seed in what would develop over the next years of my life. Recently I have begun photographing people in their celebrations of life and could not feel any more blessed to be a part of capturing those memories.

About This Blog

A great american writer once wrote, "If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan my day." EB White penned the thoughts of my own heart. One part of me is a graphic designer working to challenge the world, seeking out problems and striving to create avenues for change. The other part is seeking out the beauties of the world and working to capture them in our memories forever through photography. This is what you will find here. Me enjoying the world. I have been truly fortunate to photograph such incredible people at truly beautiful moments in life. I can only hope that the images I've collected will forever keep alive those thoughts and emotions that swelled in their hearts and minds that day.

If you are interested in having me capture your life moments you can contact me by clicking here.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP