Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Field to Fork Fourth

For the past several years of my life I have spent the Fourth of July at the island but this year... well, a lot of things have been different this year. Several of my fellow NC State MGD 2010 graduates have been sticking around Raleigh (which I love). And we are half-way into what I have now deemed "The Summer of Seeing." Which is the opposite of a Summer of Making. The job searching has been a long process for most of us (and for those of us who haven't even started it looks like it is going to be even longer.) But I have finally become okay with that. Instead of cursing each day I am without a job, a plan or a direction, only to look back several months from now and say, "If only, I would have appreciated those days more," I am just going to actually appreciate these days more. Take time to step away, to stand back, and to see, to watch and appreciate the world before diving back in.

So, I have been seeing. Seeing Casablanca for the first time on an ampitheater lawn under the moon. Seeing sunrises over a North Carolina coast. Seeing sunsets over the Gulf. Seeing more pages of more books than I have any other summer of my life, books about thoughts on modernist design, about paths and direction and intention, as well as sagas involving vampires and werewolves (I somewhat embarrassingly admit). I have seen every word of every verse in the entire book of Proverbs. I have seen and experienced the process of hay bailing under the NC summertime sun. I have seen and experience the process of bagel making in a packed friend's kitchen. I have seen dappled sunlight on an Oakwood front porch. I have watched and waved at the backs of friends that on to the next phase of life outside of Raleigh. I have seen anxiety swell up like a tsunami while I tense for impact and I have watch as peace "like a river attendeth my soul."

And, of course, there is more to see (stay posted.) But one thing that I have noticed is that sometimes it takes stepping back to see and appreciate things that have been there all along (really profound, I know.) This summer has allowed me to breath again, away from the stresses of school, and really take stock in today. Almost two years ago I sat in a room, looking around a table at ten other anxious student faces. The director of our graduate program told us to look around the room, "these are the people you are going to be in contact with for the rest of your design careers." I couldn't have ever imagined how familiar those faces would become. And while I have always considered myself curious I have been surprised to find how much wider of a world they have introduce to my oftentimes naive and narrow eyes. Oh no, now my sight is getting blurry behind sentimental tears. So enough of that.

One of my Summer of Seeing projects was the Field to Fork Fourth with some of those very friends. Myself and three of my dear MGD friends, Brooke, Cady and Lauren, headed out early in the afternoon on July 4th to the Raleigh Farmer's Market with recipes in hand and ended the day divvying up the most beautiful leftovers I have ever seen in my life. Somewhere in between there was dicing, slicing, peeling, stirring, whisking, spreading, snacking, chatting, dancing, drinking, laughing, speculating, dreaming, napping (well, Brooke that is), indulging, congratulating, debating, sparkler twirling, firework launching and dance party starting.

I choose my recipes carefully, for the way they would look, for the visual. The fact that they ended up tasting delicious was a bonus. A colorful summertime Gazpacho Salsa, a Rosé Sangria and a decadent Vanilla Bean Ice Cream to accompany Lauren's Peach Cobbler. Brooke made Panini All'Olio (a.k.a...rolls) for Portabello Mushroom Sandwiches with roasted peppers, onions and goat cheese. Cady made a Savory Squash Tart. And Lauren made a Peach Cobbler as well as helped with the Sangria. The results were delicious and absolutely beautiful. But quite honestly the process was the best part. Happy Fourth of July!
























0 comments:

About Caroline

I decided my destiny was to be an artist at age five when I won an honorable mention in a art competition in kindergarten. Ever since then I have been following a dream that has manifested itself in a variety of rewarding and delightful ways. I have practiced in the field of graphic design for over 8 years and recently acquired my Masters in Graphic Design at NC State University in Raleigh, NC (check out my design portfolio by clicking here if you like). But a passion that has stuck with me ever since I got my hands on my first Nikon camera in my undergraduate art education at Florida State University is photography. The instruction I received there was but a seed in what would develop over the next years of my life. Recently I have begun photographing people in their celebrations of life and could not feel any more blessed to be a part of capturing those memories.

About This Blog

A great american writer once wrote, "If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan my day." EB White penned the thoughts of my own heart. One part of me is a graphic designer working to challenge the world, seeking out problems and striving to create avenues for change. The other part is seeking out the beauties of the world and working to capture them in our memories forever through photography. This is what you will find here. Me enjoying the world. I have been truly fortunate to photograph such incredible people at truly beautiful moments in life. I can only hope that the images I've collected will forever keep alive those thoughts and emotions that swelled in their hearts and minds that day.

If you are interested in having me capture your life moments you can contact me by clicking here.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP